Tuesday 25 March 2008

Hey ho, another day at the office

Mar 19th

Finish off entering the data for all the schools which have sent their forms in to date. Of course, that’s only about 10% of the total, but I feel that at least I’m earning my keep so far this week. Does feel funny not being on the road visiting schools.

In the afternoon I hosted Cathie and Chris, one of the new volunteers (a primary head from Herts here on a short term contract with the NAHT). We’ve agreed to help her on a Head teacher training day at the start of the Easter holidays. Spend the afternoon thinking about how we can assist these people; I always feel so devoid of ideas at these meetings. Hope I don’t disgrace myself when it actually comes to pass – we’ll have about 80 Heads to perform to, and the whole event is being monitored by the powers that be………. So no pressure! At least it means that I’m learning how to do these things in other places before I set about doing any in Muhanga. Here in my local patch they all think I know what I’m doing.

In the evening went out with Karen and Christi and other FHI people for a meal at a different restaurant/bar in Gitarama. Yes, folks, that’s three places I’ve eaten out here now. A nice “omelette spéciale” (i.e. omelette with bits of all sorts of mélange stuff thrown in) and cheaper even than Tranquilité.

Back home, though, my stomach is decidedly unhappy with something I’ve eaten and I’m wondering whether to cancel the weekend trip to Nyungwe Forest. Decide to wait till morning and see what sort of night I have.

Best thing about today – getting on top of the statistics. Nobody else in the District Office is doing it, and I alone have got the time to sit and think about what the figures are telling me.
Worst thing about today – I’ve got a horrible feeling I’ve got the dreaded tummy bug again.

No comments: